Car accidents are some of the most stressful and scary things to experience, especially due to their unexpected nature. There is no good time to get into a car accident--which is why it is incredibly common to be scared, flustered, or confused about the course of action to take once you are involved in one. Our Sierra Vista personal injury lawyers at the Country Lawyers P.C. are committed to helping you cope with the aftermath, but it is also important to keep a few things in mind following an unexpected accident.
The following tips may be useful to you after a car accident:
- Keep calm – Taking a deep breath, assessing the situation, and staying calm are some of the most important things you can do during these high-stress situations.
- Check for injuries – If needed, call an ambulance, either for yourself or the other involved party.
- Move to a safe place – If the accident was minor, move the car or cars to a safe place on the side of the road.
- Alert others – Turning on your vehicle's hazard lights or using cones is a clear indication to other pedestrians or drivers on the road to be careful.
- Call the police – Even if the accident is minor, it is important to have everything documented by professionals.
- Notify your insurance agent – Notifying your insurance agent immediately can help you get started on whatever claims you may be filing or compensation you may be seeking.
- Do not sign documents – Unless you are signing for the police or your insurance agent, do not officially sign anything.
- Take pictures – Documenting the accident can best help you in the long run.
- Limit your discussion – Admitting guilt to the other party is essential to avoid. State only the facts to the police or your insurance agent.
Speaking to witnesses as well as checking on all drivers and passengers involved are also crucial to the post-accident procedure. The final and most important step to consider is hiring an attorney, especially if anyone was injured in the accident. An experienced Sierra Vista personal injury attorney such as the ones in our team at the Country Lawyer P.C. can help you maximize your recovery or defend yourself if the accident was indeed your fault. Being cautious, aware, and safe while on the road are the best ways to prevent yourself from dangerous car accidents--but sometimes, you can't avoid what happens to you. For compassionate, experienced, and strong-minded legal counsel from Sierra Vista personal injury lawyers, look no further than the Country Lawyer P.C.
Contact us today to speak a representative by calling (888) 392-1336.